Renting a car in a foreign country can be an overwhelming experience, not only do you have the hassles of hiring a vehicle, but you have the added burdens of doing it in another country, with different currencies and policies. The internet has made things easier, allowing people to check for the best deals on price comparison sites as well as comparing smaller firms to the larger brands such as Avis and Hertz. Here are some tips on how to find the best car rental hire deal wherever you are and to get you on the road as fast as possible once you’re on holiday.
1. Check car rental comparison sites – Sites such as comparecarhire.co.uk and TravelZoo will help you find the cheapest deals out there, so make sure you start your holiday research by checking them asap in order to save money.
2. Consider rental car loyalty schemes – If you rent cars often, consider joining a loyalty scheme that larger firms have, such as National’s Emerald Club. Not only do these provide discounts, but they also can give you free days, or free miles in a reward scheme. They also offer members deals that the general public don’t have access to.
3. Car rental providers are all unique – While you may think that not much separates the car rental firms, they are all individual and all have different deals and services to offer. If you are flying into a country, many airports have car rental offices in the terminal, but other companies will offer a pick-up service. Depending on what you need the car for and whether you need it as soon as possible, look at each company to see if they offer the services you want.
4. Use a middle man – Online travel agencies and consolidators often have good relationships with car rental firms, so if you have organised a holiday through them, ask them to negotiate a deal for you. Some agencies may be able to get you a discount, or even lower rates depending on how many days you need it for. Using an agency can make things a lot less complicated and certainly save you quite a bit of money.
5. Pay with your credit card – When paying for your rental, by using a credit card you can often earn discounts or points, much like air miles. Firms often do this as a way of making sure you remain a loyal customer in the future, and to incentivise you returning.